Prep: 10 min
Bake: 50 min
What you need:
4 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
Cinnamon, 2 tsp + 1 tbsp
pinch of salt
pinch of nutmeg
1/3 cup almond flour
1/3 cup chopped pecans
2 tbsp grass-fed butter
5 pitted dates, diced
1 can chilled coconut milk, optional
1 vanilla bean or 1 T vanilla extract, optional
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Toss sliced apple with cinnamon and vanilla. Layer in 8x8 square dish (sprayed).
3. Dice chilled butter, and mix in almond flour, dates, more cinnamon, and pinch of salt (you can do this in a food processor, but I did it by hand).
4. Mix in pecans. Crumble over sliced apples.
5. Cover pan with foil and bake for 40 minutes, or until bubbly.
6. Uncover and cook for 5-10 minutes, or until the topping is lightly toasted.
7. Serve warm and top with (optional but highly recommended) cream topping.
Optional vanilla bean cream
1 can chilled coconut milk with 1 shaved vanilla bean (or 1 T vanilla extract) mixed well.
Spoon over warm apple crisp.
Or...you could whip the chilled coconut milk and vanilla bean in a mixer for a few minutes until it becomes a fluffy and delicious whipped cream.
Just promise you won't eat half of it like I did, ok?? The beauty of "paleo" desserts is that you don't feel terrible after doing that, I was just absolutely stuffed!