- Shower in lukewarm water. That steaming hot water that might feel so good can actually help dry your skin out more and increase itch.
- Use fragrance free soaps, especially if you are prone to dry/sensitive skin or eczema.
- Apply moisturizers directly out of the shower, when skin is still damp.
- Wear sunscreen. SPF 30. Everyday.
- Use gentle cleansers. There are so many options out there, but my personal opinion is that spending extra money for extra ingredients is not necessary when the product is only briefly on your skin. Cleansers should clean your skin and prepare it for the active ingredients in other products. I also think some of the 2-in-1 wipes are great for patients who would like a low maintenance skin care regimen.
- If you are using any prescriptions (like Retin-A) on your skin, keep your moisturizer simple as well.
- For daytime, use a moisturizer with SPF 30. Sunscreen helps prevent the darkening of pre-existing lesions like sun spots and melasma and protects from UV damage which may result in new sun spots (solar lentigenes), skin cancer, and wrinkles.
(please note: I have not yet personally tried all of these products, but I am working on it! Many of these are endorsed by other dermatologists, the American Academy of Dermatology, or the Skin Cancer Foundation)
|Dove Sensitive Skin body wash or bar soap is great for all skin types.|
|Vanicream is also great for sensitive skin. It has a line of great cleansers, lotions, and sunscreens.|
|The entire line of CeraVe is fantastic. Designed to replace ceramides, a crucial component of the skin barrier. The facial moisturizers come in an AM and PM, both of which are great.|
|Purpose was designed to be used with Retin-A, since this prescription retinoid is often drying and irritating. It is gentle, but skin feels clean after use. I have even used the wash (NOT the bar) for removing my eye makeup.|
|These make-up remover towelettes are perfect for a low maintenance skin care regimen.|
|A great, affordable moisturizer. I love that it now comes in an SPF 30. I like this product because it is moisturizing without being greasy.|
|Another good moisturizer from Aveeno. Good for those with sensitive skin or rosacea. Also comes in SPF 30.|
|Cetaphil's daily facial moisturizers. I also recommend using their body lotion (the one with the pump) as a good facial nighttime moisturizer that will last forever because of it's size.|
I hope these recommendations are helpful. I will continue to update as I discover new products.