Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Week Ahead

Hope you all have had a great weekend! I can tell it might be rough adjusting to this time change.  We ended up making bacon-guac paleo burgers last night (a change to the meal plan, gasp!) because it was too nice to not grill out.


Slices of jicama make an excellent vehicle for salsa and dips.
All the fixins for bacon-guac bunless burgers

This week is the AAD (American Academy of Dermatology) meeting in San Diego!! I have some very interesting classes lined up and am excited to see what this meeting is all about! This will be my first year attending, as last year I was an intern (internship=your first year of residency). My residency is 4 years long, three of which are devoted to dermatology. The field of dermatology is unique in that it is a relatively small specialty. Most residents and many practicing derms attend the AAD meeting, so it is a great opportunity to meet others in the profession and catch up with peers. It is also a chance to hear about new products, so I will keep everyone updated if I find any miraculous new must-haves! One thing I am particularly looking forward to is seeing how thousands of dermatologists act in sunny San Diego! The town may sell out of sunscreen and wide brimmed hats!

Since this is a short week, I get a little break from cooking, but this is what I have planned...

Breakfasts: spinach and kale smoothie variation. Recipe to follow!

Lunch: Greek salad (one of my favorite salads, I'll post this on Monday); Steakhouse salad for Tuesday and Wednesday

Dinners:
-Sunday: Paleo pad thai. This recipe calls for spaghetti squash; however, the last time I made it, I used julienne-sliced zucchini (about 4 zucchinis) and it was absolutely delicious. Husband and I couldn't believe veggies could taste that good. The protein can be chicken, pork, shrimp...whatever your heart stomach desires. If you decide to use zucchini, I have always followed The Clothes Make the Girl's advice and I let the zucchini "noodles" sweat. I put them in a colander, douse with salt, and let them sit for 20-30 minutes. Afterward, you rinse off all the salt and they are ready to use just like real pasta. This is an awesome trick to have around if your husband loves Italian food as much as mine. One last note: the recipe uses coconut aminos, which I have found by the soy sauces at Whole Foods. Unless you are doing very strict paleo, I would recommend substituting wheat-free soy sauce (tamari) to save on some cost. Now, this meal takes a little more time, so I recommend it for a weekend. It makes enough for two very hungry people. Don't let all the words scare you from this recipe...it's not that bad!
-Monday: Grilled steaks and oven-roasted broccoli
-Tuesday: Jambalaya (recipe to follow)
-Wednesday: Clean out the fridge night

Have a great week, everyone!

~Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment