Monday, March 12, 2012

Greek salad

I don't know how it took me so long to discover Greek food.  Well, actually, I do know:  it was the feta cheese (I know, I know, it seems most people love feta).  Once I figured out there is so much more to Greek, now I can't stop eating it! I particularly like Layla's, a little family run Greek restaurant in Little Rock.  When I make it at home, this salad is one of my favorites:


Greek Salad Recipe
Romaine lettuce and spinach leaves (as much or little as you want--I prefer a lot!)
Grilled chicken breasts or thighs
Sliced pepperoncinis
Kalamata olives
Red bell pepper strips
Cherry tomatoes

Lemon Dill Dressing:
2 tbsp homemade mayo
1 tsp lemon juice
Dill, garlic powder, salt, pepper to taste

I like to bring my salads in Glad containers with these little attachable cups. The cups are perfect for dressings and prevent soggy salads.  Because I eat a lot, I bring the 6 cup bowls.
For the salad, you might also consider hard-boiled egg, capers, or feta cheese (if you're a bigger fan than me.) The dressing also makes a fantastic dip for veggies. I recommend everyone tries making homemade mayo at least once. It is delicious, rewarding, beautiful, and a great lesson in patience!

Enjoy!

~Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment