Wednesday, March 14, 2012

On the go

Since we are traveling this week, I thought I would talk about how we try to eat right and stay fit while on the go.


We try to be prepared, otherwise, Husband may resort to this...
Food:
I think it goes without saying that traveling and vacation is a great time to cut loose and splurge a little. However, if you really ask yourself why you are eating this way, sometimes I decide I want to feel great on my vacation rather than be in a sugar hangover. I generally set out to be healthy, and have some cheats here and there. I have found eating out (in theory) more straight forward since going paleo. Here are some things I find helpful:
--Every meal is basically meat and veggies, and if you can resist the other tempting items on the menu, you can almost always find something that will work. I have found that Mexican (fajitas) and American (salads, grilled meats) are easier places to find something, and Italian and pizza are usually harder.
--When eating out, I just do my best and don't worry too much about the rest (i.e.-on the Whole30, they really emphasized what oils your food is cooked in and what it may have come in contact with) I find this to take all the joy out of eating out, and isn't that the whole reason why we eat out?? It is a meal that you don't have to plan, shop for, cook, or clean up after! Awesome! So while on paleo, I resist breads, most cheeses, salad dressings, and creamy sauces.
--Most chain restaurants have gluten free menus available, and even if they don't, it is generally safe to stick with grilled meats and veggies.
--I often ask if I can sub no-no foods for extra veggies, and no one has told me no so far!
--I would also like to note that one of the beauties of paleo is that you can pretty much eat as much as you want of the right kinds of foods. This is because your body's satiety signals work properly if you are eating nutrient-rich foods. So, this means that I don't feel bad when our waiter at Outback Steakhouse not-so-politely told me "wow, I've never seen a girl actually finish that whole salad." Yep. That's right. I guess I do eat a lot.
--Have snacks readily available. Nuts, dried fruits, jerky, and a few Lara Bars. I would also recommend some chocolate. Just sayin.

Exercise:
Also a great time to give your body some recovery time; but once again, sometimes it helps get your day off to the right start to get a little exercise in. Things Tom and I have done:
-Find a hill. Run it. Repeat.
-Run some sprints. This works wherever you are!
-Tabata. Pick a few exercises. Do 8 sets of 20 seconds of work and 10 seconds of rest. Repeat for each chosen exercise. Some suggestions--squats, tuck jumps, push ups, sit ups, mountain climbers, jumping jacks
-CrossFit Omaha has a list of Workouts on the Road

Almost anything can be used to get a little exercise in!

No comments:

Post a Comment